Sun Valley / Ketchum, Id
- Lots of free camping options
- You’ll want to move to Idaho
- Many miles of incredible riding in Sun Valley
- Lift Serviced Trails at Sun Valley Resort
- Can ride straight out from town
- Hard to get to (also a benefit)
- Off the beaten path
- Your family will never come to visit you because they think Idaho is just potatoes
Located in the Rocky Mountains of central Idaho is the outdoor adventure paradise of Ketchum – home to Sun Valley, the oldest ski resort in the United States. Apart from being a world-class winter ski destination, Ketchum is the gateway to warm-weather adventures in the surrounding Sawtooth mountains.
Sun Valley Mountain Biking
Sun Valley is an extremely bikeable town and a top-notch mountain biking destination. Flowing singletrack shares the terrain with advanced technical trails across the Ketchum and Sun Valley area. More than 118 miles of trails means you’re in for quite a ride. Whether it’s your first time trying it or you’re an experienced rider, Sun Valley has a trail for you!
Must Ride Trails
- Bald Mountain DH park (Intermediate to advanced) Chairlift access
- Adams Gulch (Options range beginner to intermediate/advanced)
See our Sun Valley Mountain Bike Trail Guide
Other Sun Valley Considerations:
If you have time, head up to Galena Lodge and ride the Galena Grinder IMBA epic system there, it’s amazing! Lots of flowy trails and some backcountry feel options as well
If you have even more time, head further up to Stanley, ID. Ohh, and hit Fisher Creek Loop on the way
Sun Valley / Ketchum Is Best Known For
- Remote trails with few people
- Sun Valley mountain resort
- Great rafting, hiking, hot springs, and more biking just north in Stanley, Idaho
Where To Rent Bikes
Book your bike rental online at PKs bike shop, there are just awesome dudes that rent great value Marin branded bikes right in town.
This town has a LOT of bike shop options, you can compare them all here.
Where To Camp To Free
Where do we begin? There are so many options:
- Lake Creek Road “ closest to town and unbeatable scenery: farther up the road is a 16-day free camping
- Trail Creek Rd
- Warm Springs Canyon
Other Outdoor Activities
- Paddling Redfish Lake an “it’s touristy but worth it
- Rafting the Salmon River in Stanley, ID
- Hiking options abound in the wilderness surrounding Ketchum
How to Get to Ketchum/Sun Valley
Just 2.5 hours from Boise, Ketchum is a great road trip option. Or fly into the centrally located Sun Valley airport to skip the commute.
Best Time to Visit Sun Valley/Ketchum
The best time to visit for summer adventures is June through September to ensure trails have dried out from the winter. Summers are hot and dry, but the high alpine trail options bring riders to cooler temperatures and alpine lakes and rivers for splashing around in.
Sun Valley Mountain Biking Rental
Find the best outdoor adventures in Sun Valley & Ketchum on TripOutside – ski & snowboard rentals, bike rentals, and more! Compare shops, prices & books online!