|Lots of trail riding options for all ability levels||A big tourist destination, avoid peak times.|
|An easy to get to destination, only 2 hours from Las Vegas||Near Zion NP, one of the busiest National Parks|
|Lots of free camping areas||Very hot in the summer|
|Options to add on other activities|
hurricane utah mountain biking
The Hurricane and Virgin, UT area is known for the magnificent Zion National Park nearby. For mountain bikers, the areas surrounding the park have some truly incredible trails, and Hurricane is known as a mecca for mountain biking. Miles and miles of singletrack catapulted Hurricane to one of the best mountain biking destinations in the world. With more than 290 miles of biking trails to choose from, you’ll find everything from beginner trails for family adventures to technical double diamond runs to put your biking skills to the test.
The small town of Hurricane, Utah is big on outdoor adventures ranging from biking to water sports to rock climbing and canyoneering. Located 20 minutes from Saint George, Hurricane calls Zion National Park its backyard. Featuring red rock glory marked by towering boulders, canyons and cliffs, Hurricane is ripe for adventure. The town is the gateway to some epic destinations including the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon, and Cedar City. It’s location in southern Utah makes it a great road trip destination from both Las Vegas (2 hours away) and Salt Lake City (4 hours away). With great free camping options just off the trails, and tons of trails for all levels of riders, Hurricane is a great biking getaway for the whole family.
MUST RIDE MOUNTAIN BIKING TRAILS NEAR ZION NATIONAL PARK
- Hurricane / LaVerkin trails (mostly Intermediate with Beginner options available)
- Gooseberry Mesa – a 13-mile loop with rolling singletrack, incredible vistas and Slickrock sections that compares to Moab.
- Hurricane Rim Loop – IMBA Epic trail
- Jem/Gould Loop
- Wire Mesa Loop (Intermediate / Beginner friendly)
- This was one of our favorite short loops, although it is only a green/blue trail, it is just so freaking fun! It’s built really well and provides incredible features to tackle and is surrounded by amazing views in all directions.
- The Whole Guacamole (Intermediate to Advanced riders)
- A more remote, 11-mile loop with 600 ft. of climbing but you will feel that you climbed 1500 ft. due to the rocky terrain.
- To get to the top where the trailhead starts, you may want to have a high clearance vehicle and possibly require 4×4 if it has rained recently. The road is a gravel road leading up to the top but the last mile before you get to the trailhead can be sketchy and rutted out depending on how the recent weather has been.
HURRICANE/VIRGIN IS BEST KNOWN FOR
- Desert riding
- Redbull Rampage takes place nearby in Virgin, UT
WHERE TO RENT BIKES
WHERE TO CAMP FOR FREE
- Hurricane Cliffs – if riding Gooseberry Mesa area
- Dalton Wash Road – if riding The Whole Guacamole
OTHER OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES NEAR ZION NATIONAL PARK
- Paddling Quail Creek State Park
- Canyoneering near Zion National Park (get a guide if you haven’t done it before)
- Zion National Park
- Hiking Kanarraville Falls
When you are done riding, enjoy a quiet, warm paddle on the calm waters of Quail Creek by kayak or SUP. Just 15 minutes from Zion National Park, the warm waters of Quail Creek is a great place to cool off after your ride or hike. Gunlock State Park’s reservoir is also an ideal year-round destination for paddling, with flat calm waters perfect for SUP. Or hop on a kayak for a tour around the lake!
BEST TIME TO VISIT
- The Hurricane area is one of the best destinations for the shoulder seasons. Spring and fall, even winter days can provide great riding during the day with the weather in the 50s in December and January.
- Hurricane is also a great destination for the off-season, since it’s warmer than other northern destinations and you can bike year round. For the best temperatures, visit from March to June, and September to November.
hurricane utah mountain bike rental
TripOutside features the best shops in Hurricane for mountain bike, kayak and SUP rentals, tours and outdoor adventures.