|Multi-sport options available||California gas prices|
|Other close by towns with epic riding||Lack of great free camping|
|Make it a road trip, so many options|
|Close to SFO and Reno for fly-in & out options|
downieville mountain bike
Downieville is a charming and colorful adventure town along the Yuba River in Northern California. It began as a gold mining mecca in the 1800s, and has now transitioned into a hub for outdoor adventure. It is well known as a mountain biking mecca amped up by the beautiful Tahoe National Forest surrounding it. Downieville has retained its old, laid back charm, and is now Sierra County’s biggest adventure town frequented by bikers, hikers, paddlers and outdoor adventure-seekers. The renowned Downieville Downhill is the most popular (albeit advanced rated) trail. Overall, Downieville is a more advanced trail system tailored to intermediate and advanced riders, with technical features, and a few hike-a-bike sections.
MUST RIDE TRAILS
- Downieville Downhill (Intermediate to Advanced)
- This renowned 14 mi. shuttle ride features northern California’s classic Sierra mountains riding. It is difficult rated, flowing singletrack with fast, rocky, technical features, and impressive drops. Dropping 5,000 vertical feet in 15 miles, it hosts the longest and most demanding mountain bike race in the country – the Downieville Classic. It’s all about the speed, tight turns, creek crossings, and rock gardens. The ride requires a 2-car shuttle, leaving one car at the top of the ride – or you can take a shuttle from one of the local companies in Downieville and ride back to your car.
- For a less intense ride, intermediate riders can break up the downhill and try some of the more mellow sections like the Third Divide or Upper Butch Ranch trail. For a challenging cross country singletrack that offers amazing views of the Yuba River throughout the ride, try your skills on the 11.5-mile North Yuba trail.
WHERE TO RENT BIKES
- Book online with Downieville Outfitters, you can also book a shuttle with your bike rental!
WHERE TO CAMP FOR FREE
- Ramshorn Campground (Forest Service campground, $20-25/night) is one of the closest to town (5.6 miles) and is located right on the river
OTHER OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
- Hiking in the surrounding Tahoe National Forest
- Paddling Lake Tahoe, umm, of course, you have to! If you are in Northern California, Tahoe is a bucket list adventure! This crystal clear lake is on the top of everyone’s paddling list.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
- For outdoor adventures, the best time to visit Downieville California is between June to September. Snow can remain through May on upper sections of trails.
downieville bike rental
TripOutside features the best shops in Downieville, California for biking and paddling gear rental and outdoor adventures.